Monday, December 19, 2005

Britain's civil partnerships

One thing that I really don't understand is how anyone can justify to themselves threatening to kill somebody else over their sexuality.

I can understand that different types of religious people (and I mean from various different religions) who interpret religious texts in certain ways might come to the conclusion that homosexuality is unnatural and unjustifiable, although I absolutely disagree. I can even conceive that certain people feel threatened by behaviour they don't understand, and react to expressions of homosexual love with disgust, although I find this terribly sad and narrow minded.

I just cannot get how anyone can feel so self-important and convinced by their idea of how a life should be lived, based purely on sexuality, that they can come to the conclusion that another person's life is that meaningless.

Poland is notoriously homophobic, and with Kaczynski in the lead, I'm afraid this threatens to be a prevailing attitude for some time to come. I had assumed that Britain was among the countries that had dealt, in some fundamental way, with issues such as homophobia. Gay pride marches are not banned in the UK, very few serious politicians come out with openly homophobic statements because they know they cannot get away with it and this week, finally, gay marriages are being recognised.

Plenty of people however still don't accept that gay people have the same rights as everyone else. It seems like such a waste of energy to me. If you can't be happy for them, at least leave them alone and get on with worrying about something more important.

I knew all these hate was bad for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home